Pay Per Click (PPC) is undoubtedly one of the most common and best forms of online advertising. It is highly effective when comes to drive immediate and qualified traffic.
PPC has the ability to show your ads to a targeted audience at the exact time when they are looking for your product or service.
As the name suggests it works on a pay-per-click system – the advertiser has to pay a certain fee to Google or other platforms when someone clicked on the ad.
The paid ad is a great source of new leads but at the same time, it is a complicated system that requires proper planning, effort, strategic thinking, and constant monitoring to get success.
Achieving success using PPC advertising is simply a matter of optimizing your PPC campaign effectively and avoiding PPC mistakes.
Sometimes despite putting 100% effort, your campaign doesn’t work as per your expectations. In fact, sometimes you don’t even know what went wrong that are causing your PPC campaigns to underperform.
To overcome this, we’ll bring you some good tactics that you can use to improve the performance of your PPC campaigns.
But before getting into that let’s take a look at how to run a PPC campaign.
- Choose a platform to run your PPC Campaign- Google, Facebook, Twitter offer pay per click advertising but Google’s Adword is the most popular PPC campaign program. Nearly 80% of US search ad revenue is earned by Google.
- Choose a type of ad- There are various options available to choose from like search ads, display ads, video ads, etc.
- Define your budget and bidding strategy- How much you’re willing to pay for the clicks your ad.
- Set your target audience, location, keywords- Define who you want your ads to reach.
- Create ad groups under the campaign- To make your ad more relevant to your audience, create ad groups.
- Monitor your PPC Campaign- Track the performance of your ad campaign.
Now let’s get into your main topic- Tips to improve your PPC campaign
Include negative keyword
Negative keywords are those keywords that instruct search engines to not show ads for certain keywords. It helps to avoid budget leakage from PPC campaigns by preventing your ads from appearing in front of an irrelevant audience.
Apart from this, negative keywords can also improve PPC campaigns by increasing click-through-rate (CTR), conversions and quality score. Learn more about negative keywords here.
Put in ad extensions
Ad Extensions show additional information to people about your product to help them make a decision. It improves your ad visibility, increases the CTR and improves the overall ROI.
Google defined ad extensions as- “expand your ad with additional information — giving people more reasons to choose your business. They typically increase an ad’s click-through rate by several percentage points.” Ad Extensions comes in several forms, the most popular are:
- Sitelink Extensions- add additional links
- Callout Extensions- add a phone number
- Structured snippets- allows you to highlight specific elements.
- Location Extensions- display your physical address
- App Extensions- direct the visitors to your App Store
Make Ad-specific Landing Page
As we all know a landing page is any web page that a visitor lands on after clicking certain links. Your ad copy and landing page are complementary to each other. Your ad will work efficiently only if it aligned with the relevant landing page. There are certain things that you should keep in mind if you want to improve the user experience of your landing page.
- Create attractive headlines that catch the attention of the user within a few seconds. It should be short, clear and concise.
- Include relevant compelling CTA, so that visitors can perform further action.
- Remove unnecessary things from landing pages such as the irrelevant menu, images, videos or sidebars.
- Include images or videos that are of high quality and explain your product better.
- Reduce the loading time of your landing page, if it will take too much time to open, your visitor will simply close it and switch to your competitor’s website.
Make sure you highlight the benefits, features and the USP on your landing page that you mentioned in your ad copy to ensure consistency.
Serving ads to an incorrect location is simply a waste of PPC budget. If you want to serve the confined area then showing ads to all the locations is of no use. You can select the location where you want to target the audience then your ads will display to searchers within that area. Check by looking at Setting> Location.
Apart from these tips, there are some more points which are important and you should pay attention to them.
- Keep monitoring conversion vs sales
- Filter out low performing keywords and pause them
- Optimize your keyword bids
- Combine PPC with organic search marketing
- Rotate your ads
If you are planning to run PPC ads, start it by considering these tips. If you are already running an ad and your ad is underperforming don’t just pause or delete them instead, look for loopholes and fix it.
Remember never forget to track and monitor your PPC data, performance, and results.