According to a 2017 survey by Clutch, about 71% of small businesses in the U.S. have a website. But having a website is just not enough. You need to make sure that your website is user-friendly and create value for your business.
That’s where Google Analytics helps you.
According to W3Techs, near about 56.5% of all website uses Google Analytics. It is a free web analytics tool, that shows from where visitors are coming in your site, which content is working and which is not, your bounce rate, average session rate, etc. You can get data in minutes.
Google Analytics would only be able to provide you this information once if it has been installed on your website.
If you have Google Analytics set up on your website, that’s good. But if you don’t have, set it up on your website but make sure to do it properly to make the most of it.
Are you wondering how to set up? Here’s a step by step instruction to do it accurately and believe me it is not a complex process.
Let’s get started….
Step 1: Create your Google Analytics Account
- Go to the Google Analytics Homepage
- Click Start for free, to create an account.
- After you click the Sign-Up button, fill out the information for your website.
Step 2: Add your Google Analytics Tracking Code to your site
Once you are done with filling all the information like account name, website name, website URL, etc, go to the Admin section of your account and click the Get Tracking ID button and agree to the Google Analytics Terms of Service.
You will now be given the Tracking ID. Copy and Paste the Tracking ID to the Google Analytics Code section of the site builder. This code enables Google to track and collect your website data.
Once you’ve successfully installed your Google Analytics tracking on your website give it some time before you to start seeing reports and data displayed on your Google Analytic dashboard.
Step 3: Set up Goals
- Google Analytics goals help you to track the data you want to track
- Go to the admin section, under View column click Goals
- Click on the New Goal button
- Choose a template from the given templates or create a custom one.
- Enter the name of your goal
- Under Type select Destination and then click Next/Continue
Step 4: Setting Up the Site Search
Site Search report shows you the keywords and pages visitors are searching for on your site. You can only access this information once you set up Google Analytics Site Search for your website.
Here’s the step to set up the Google Analytics Site Search report
- Go to the Admin Section
- Under View column, click on View Settings
- Scroll down to Site Search Setting, switch the toggle “On” and enter your “Query parameter”.
(To know your website query parameters take your website URL and Google it. It will appear just before the URL)
- Place your query parameters in the Query Parameters section and click Save.
Once that is installed, Google is going to start recording all of the activity on your website. It can take a few hours or up to a day to start seeing data in your new account.
For any help go to the Analytics Help.