Email marketing is directly marketing a commercial message to a group of people using email. In its broadest sense, every email sent to a potential or current customer could be considered email marketing.
Email marketing comparison
to direct mail is one of the most debatable topics of marketing.
There are some advantages to using email marketing in comparison to traditional mail:
- Email’s immediacy reduces delays in communication, allowing businesses to run more smoothly.
- An exact return on investment can be tracked (“track to basket”) and has proven to be high when done properly.
- Email marketing is often reported as second only to search marketing as the most effective online marketing tactic.
- Email Marketing is significantly cheaper and faster than traditional mail. Mainly because of the high cost and time required in a traditional mail campaign for producing the artwork, printing, addressing and mailing.
- Advertisers can reach substantial numbers of email subscribers who have opted-in (i.e., consented) to receive email communications on subjects of interest to them.
- Email marketing can be done to either cold lists or current customer database.